Question:
Why is the term 'no surrender' associated with glasgow rangers fc?
penmaster4life
2006-04-16 12:19:36 UTC
I understnad that the basis for this is religeon, but I don't know how it all fits together.
Seven answers:
billyfwlr
2006-04-17 17:19:14 UTC
It's simple in a odd kinda way. U see both Rangers & Celtic are from the west of Scotland where a lot of Irish moved to way back when.

Celtic was formed by a priest and have a largely catholic following, they carry green white and yellow flags as well as Irish banners and sing the fields of athenrie.

Rangers on the other hand have a predominantly protestant following, fly the Union Jack and sing their own Irish protestant songs.

Religion has no place in soccer, nor does singing songs about protestant paramillitary groups or the IRA, however, I am sad to say both the Rangers & Celtic fans think this is o.k.

The away fans are generally the worst, when they visit other grounds. There is comming a day when this will be stamped out but sadly it's very much a part of the west of Scotland culture
2006-04-18 11:22:50 UTC
No Surrender is associated with Glasgow Rangers as they will not surrender to the Irish coming over to Scotland an tryin to take control of it, Celtic should be an Irish team as all they do is fly Irish flags and think they are brilliant when they fly the Basque flag, rangers are not sectarian compared to Celtic, Celtic support the pope and Ireland, while rangers support the queen and fly union jacks and saltires, supporting our own country, and the chants at ibrox of billy boys are not secterian, we are just proving a point of " being up to our knees in fenion blood, surrender or youll die" is fightr talk as rangers a fiesty team where as they tims always get the decisions form the refs.

That is why the term no surrender is associated witha team like Glasgow Rangers, the most succesdul team in the world
Bowlo_Blue
2006-04-16 12:30:51 UTC
‘No Surrender’ is very battle oriented, specifically referring to the siege of Derry in 1689, where the Protestant inhabitants refused to surrender to the troops of King James. In recent years, it has referred to the Protestant people of Northern Ireland refusing to surrender to the IRA . Fans argue that it does not have violent connotations as it merely refers to the teams desire not to surrender to the opposition, citing the evidence that it is commonly sung after Rangers have conceded a goal. The song does have unavoidable links to Ulster Protestantism and thus appears to have little relevance to a football match.
2016-11-11 07:53:19 UTC
No Surrender To The Ira
2017-01-02 14:27:56 UTC
The Cry Was No Surrender
2016-03-16 08:02:20 UTC
You'll find them nowhere. They don't exist. The team you refer to do not celebrate - they destroy - as the cities of Barcelona and Manchester found out. The only flames burning were the looted shops that had been set alight.
Kyral
2006-04-17 15:23:52 UTC
I never heard a song called no surrender and I did not know it was associated with Rangers.